Currently, I am a PhD candidate at Rutgers University’s School of Communication and Information with a research focus in sound culture and visual communication. I am also a part-time lecturer at Rutgers University. Additionally, I have been a professional graphic designer for over 25 years.
- Bridges, F., Bullinger, J., & Salvati, A. (2015, December 17). The Star Wars Holiday Special (1978). Inside the Box: The TV History Podcast. Podcast retrieved from http://www.tvhistorypod.com/?p=577
- Bridges, F., Bullinger, J., & Salvati, A. (2015, July 18). The Max Headroom signal intrusion. Inside the Box: The TV History Podcast. Podcast retrieved from http://www.tvhistorypod.com/?p=262
- Bridges, F. (2015, May). Black Mirror as pedagogical tool in the college classroom. In Media Res. Retrieved from http://mediacommons.futureofthebook.org/imr/2015/05/08/black-mirror-pedagogical-tool-college-classroom
- Pavlik, J., & Bridges, F. (2012). Augmented reality (AR) in journalism: The emergence of AR as a storytelling medium. Journalism and Communication Monographs, 15(1), 4-59.
- Bridges, F., Appel, L., & Grossklegs, J. (2012). Young adults’ online participation behaviors: An exploratory study of web 2.0 use for political engagement. Information Polity, 17(2), 163-176.
- Pavlik, J., Kubey, R., & Bridges, F. (2012). Dream sequences as a narrative device in television: A Freudian perspective. Cadernos de Televisão, 3, 41-51.
- Pavlik, J., Kubey, R., & Bridges, F. (2010). Freud and the interpretation of television dreams. Television Quarterly, 39(1), 19-27.
- Bridges, F. (2015, April). Highway ‘91 revisited: A seminal crossroads of American culture for music and beyond. Paper presented at 2015 Popular Culture Association /American Culture Association conference, New Orleans, LA.
- Bridges, F. (2014, May). The dream of the 1890s is alive in sheet music: How Beck’s Song Reader creates a transmedia dilemma with music videos. Paper accepted to 2014 Music and the Moving Image, NY, NY.
- Bridges, F. (2014, May). And the band played on: How the digital divide is creating a disparity in the distribution of music. Paper accepted to 2014 ICA Pre Confernce – Communication and ‘The Good Life’ Around the World After Two Decades of the Digital Divide, Seattle, WA.
- Bridges, F. (2013, October). Highway ‘91 Revisited: A seminal crossroads of American culture for music and beyond. Paper accepted to 2013 Containers Confernce, NY, NY.
- Bridges, F. (2013, June). The Dream of the 1890s is alive in sheet music: How Beck’s Song Reader release replicates a new dilemma in transmedia. Paper presented at Trans-(media) Graduate Student Conference, Staten Island, NY.
- Bridges, F. (2013, May). Music video mutation revives the video star: The re-birth of the music video and its transformation of political economy for artists. Paper presented at 2013 Cultural Studies Association Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Bridges, F. (2013, April). Documentaries as historical records for local music scenes. Paper accepted to 35th annual Warren and Beatrice Susman Conference, New Brunswick, NJ.
- Bridges, F. (2013, March). Ce n’est pas la nourriture: The consuming of cultural ideology. Paper presented at PCA/ACA 2013 Conference, Washington, DC.
- Bridges, F. (2013, March). Money can’t buy them love: Major music labels’ problems controlling artists who have established themselves on the Internet. Paper presented at PCA/ACA 2013 Conference, Washington, DC.
- Rottinghaus, A. R., Flores, J., Bridges, F., Trammell, A., & Sutko, D. M. (2012, November). The Culture Industry 2.0: Refreshing the political economy of the culture industries. Panel presented at National Communication Association, Orlando, FL.
- Bridges, F. (2012, June). Memes as music videos: The political economy of reappropriated culture production. Paper presented at Music & The Moving Image Conference, New York, NY.
- Bridges, F. (2012, May). What are you looking at?: Banksy’s view of CCTV surveillance. Paper presented at When Images Casue Trouble Conference, Rochester, NY.
- Bridges, F. (2012, April). Hey, man, is that Freedom Rock?: A cyberethnography of the music-sharing website SoundCloud. Paper presented at Music: Parts and Labor Conference, New York, NY.
- Bridges, F. (2012, April). One nation under CCTV: Banksy’s insight on citizen surveillance. Paper presented at PCA/ACA 2012 Conference, Boston, MA.
- Bridges, F. (2012, March). The Hub City rocks and rolls with the changing times: How the New Brunswick music scene has developed over the past 30 years. Paper presented at the Eastern American Studies Association, New Brunswick, NJ.
- Bridges, F. (2012, March). From mad men to Mad Men: Development of semiotic-based advertising. Paper presented at Joint Journalism and Communication History Conference, New York, NY.
- Bridges, F., Appel, L., & Grossklegs, J. (2011, June). Search strategies and success in an experimental study. Paper presented at 12th International Digital Government Research Conference, College Park, MD.
- Bridges, F., Appel, L., & Grossklegs, J. (2011, April). Hope, change, and the pursuit of political participation. Paper presented to 11th Annual Critical Themes in Media Studies Graduate Student Conference, New York, NY.
- Bridges, F. (2011, March). Social journalism: Avoiding the hype and embracing theory-based best practices. Paper presented at New Jersey Communication Association Conference, Paramus, NJ.
- Appel, L., Bridges, F., & Grossklegs, J. (2011, March). Young adults and online political participation: Search strategies and success in an experimental study. Paper presented at New Jersey Communication Association Conference, Paramus, NJ.
- Bridges, F., Jung, Y., Lee, S.K. & Shie, S. (2010, May). Looking Toward the Future of Mobile Learning Through the Eyes of Experts: Obstacles and Opportunities for Museums. Paper presented at the conference Museums, Mobile Devices and Social Media: Where We Are Today, What’s Next?, New Brunswick, NJ.
Undergraduate Courses Taught
- DCIM Capstone
- Digital Media Lab
- Event Design and Management
- Exploring New Media
- Musical Cultures and Industries
- Public Speaking
- Strategic Presentation
- Visual Communication
- WeatherWatcher Living-Learning Community
Academic Honors and Accomplishments
- 2016 Extending Play 3 Conference Co-Organizer
- Co-founder of New Brunswick Music Scene Archive
- 2015 Extending Play – The Sequel Conference Co-Organizer
- 2014 Prezi Educators Society
- 2013 MediaCon: Extending Play Conference Co-Organizer
- SC&I 2012 Summer Fellowship Award
- 2012 NSF-funded Grant from Rutgers i-Cubed for SC&I DSA Professionalism Day
- 2010-2011 Ecologies in the Balance Grant for Human Trafficking and Social Media Panel
- SC&I DSA President 2011/2012
- SC&I Alumni Association Executive Board, MCIS Representative 2011
- DiMartini Service Award 2010
- Best MCIS Capstone Presentation 2010
- MCIS Graduate Student Association, Co-President
- Selected to attend the Invitational Masters Student Institute
- Selected MCIS student to attend 2008 National Communication Association Conference
Rutgers University – New Brunswick, NJ
- Ph.D., School of Communication and Information, Anticipated Graduation Date May 2017
- Masters, Communication and Information Studies (MCIS) – Research Associate, 2010
- B.A., Journalism, 1994
- B.A., Communication, 1994
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey – New Brunswick, NJ
Designer/Consultant, School of Communication & Information 2010-Present
- Design marketing pieces for professional development programs such as postcards, ads and spec sheets.
- Assist in social media branding and development.
Production Specialist, Creative Services 2008-2010
- Lead a research project sponsored by the Council for Advancement and Support of Education to survey readers of the Rutgers alumni magazine. The findings are currently being assessed for future marketing and positioning use.
- Project managed the production of signage for Rutgers Day, an open-house event for the community that attracted 75,000 attendees.
- Perform as a liaison between the Art Department and vendors for specing, quoting, and purchasing print materials such as posters, brochures, billboards and signage.
- Work with internal clients to project manage jobs such as the Rutgers alumni magazine, Study Abroad brochure, Rutgers Day signage, and the New Brunswick/Piscataway campus map.
East West Connection – Pittstown, NJ
Creative Director 2007-2008
- Manage the day-to-day operations of a design department for an event and meeting planning agency, including in-house and freelance designers, as well as post-production tasks such as quoting, preparing jobs for various vendors, proofing and arranging shipping of finished deliverables.
- Prepared designers’ files to deliver to specialized print shop for numerous banners and event signs to be used for a corporation’s 20th anniversary celebration at a reserved baseball stadium.
- Worked with a large-format digital press to create a cost-effective event folder for short run use, while keeping a high level of product quality and an affordable price.
- Organized the completion of a website and an online event registration tool for the expanding side of the company.
Swaprocks! – Somerset, NJ
- Managed the development and launch of Swaprocks!, an online forum for swapping CDs, DVDs and video games.
- Designed all visuals and branding of the company, including the website’s GUI (Guided-User Interface) screen flow to lend cohesion to the end-user experience, as well as the company logo, tagline, and promotional materials.
- Wrote all of the copy throughout the website, including the press releases.
- Co-wrote the company’s in-depth business plan and developed a presentation to present to venture capitalists.
ITC (International Technidyne Corporation) – Edison, NJ
Creative Manager 2004-2006
- Received 16 Diagnostic Marketing Association awards for 2004-2006 design work (http://www.dxma.org).
- Managed development of end-user CD-ROM and in-depth website (http://www.protimesystem.com) for new product launch that reduced patient self-testing material costs by 80% and earned accolades from the internal sales force.
- Directed, filmed and edited opening movie for sales meetings and company holiday party using iMovie and iDVD. They were extremely well received by their audiences, with one earning a citation by the President.
- Assisted the President in writing the company profile for Thoratec Corporation’s (parent company) annual report.
- Worked as the primary liaison between marketing, design and public relations agencies and the Executive Staff and Marketing Department for special out-of-house projects such as web advertising and patient self-testing materials.
- Projected and maintained $250K annual departmental budget efficiently and cost effectively for:
– Purchase of marketing literature and journal article reprints.
– Development and placement of journal advertising.
– Maintenance and upgrades of trade show booths.
– Payment of freelancers and consultants.
– Upgrade of computer hardware and software, including capital purchases.
Corporate Communications Manager 2001-2004
- Conceived and implemented a corporate branding strategy by working closely with the new President and a medical diagnostics marketing agency. These included new literature scheme, website template and trade show presence.
- Brought a wider focus of multimedia capabilities by developing a Flash-authored movie of the company’s history for trade shows, product CD-ROMs with “how-to” video demonstrations, and enhanced PowerPoint presentations.
- Hired a full-time Graphic Designer, after presenting the cost savings and developing a departmental growth plan, significantly reducing costs of the growing workload.
- Conceived and developed a Palm OS-based dosing calculator when a new instrument’s onboard software had programming delays, allowing the feature to still be provided to the customer with little effect on forecasted sales.
- Spearheaded Beautification Committee responsible for improving the grounds and public areas of all six ITC properties. Worked with the President and a selected group to identify improvements and complete them.
Graphics Manager 1998-2001
- Promoted to managerial level and made responsible for all aspects of graphic design, from conception to arrival of finished goods. Worked with numerous internal customers to identity, schedule and execute their projects.
- Recruited and managed freelancers for outsourced work, including graphic and production designers, multimedia developers and photographers.
- Initiated and worked with Document Control and Regulatory Departments to develop a more efficient sign-off standard operating procedure for production and marketing literature.
- Researched, purchased and upgraded workstations to increase turnaround time and efficiency. This allowed all PhotoShop editing to be done in-house, resulting in a significant cost savings on many projects.
Graphic Designer 1996-1998
- Championed development of a company website to Executive Staff; upon launch the site generated a 20% surge in new leads.
- Networked Graphics Department workstations and established a centralized file server; instituted a hard copy filing system that, when combined, saved an average of 30 hours a week of downtime searching for files.
- Redesigned production material, radically reducing costs, with one product line’s average package insert price decreasing from $2.50 each to $0.15.
Princeton Book Company, Publishers – Pennington, NJ
Graphic Designer/Publicity Manager 1993-1996
- Designed book covers, video and audio cassette jackets, and promotional materials entirely on computer, where before it was mostly facilitated using time-consuming “paste-up” methods.
- Revitalized company image through redesign of book-of-the-month club bulletin and biannual catalog, more in-depth writing of press releases and scheduled follow-up contact with journals.
- Upgraded software and hardware to make the workflow more productive and reduce service bureau costs.
Rutgers College Recreation Department – New Brunswick, NJ
Graphic Artist 1992-1993
- Designed flyers and event graphics, along with promoting events, for an intramural department serving 40,000+ students and faculty.
- Established Excel spreadsheets for expediting payroll and event scheduling processes.
Consulting/Freelance Designer 1990-Present
- Created cover and DVD selection menus using DVD Studio Pro for a documentary of the U.K. band The Wedding Present.
- Designed book covers and interiors, most recently for a children’s chapter book and a self-healing guide.
- Conceptualized and executed CD/record cover designs and promotional materials (sometimes collaborating with illustrators) for independent record companies, which quite often garnered journal praise for the artwork itself.
- Worked with a team on screen-printed and embroidered clothing design for a skateboard culture company.